Since becoming a mother I have found certain items that I simply couldn’t and cannot live without. When I was pregnant and constantly preparing for the arrival of our cub I thought I needed everything. I wanted to be as prepared as I could possibly be! So, here’s my list of thing’s I have personally found invaluable to motherhood and raising a child; This is no particular order and it is not sponsored, these are simply items I use and love.
- Medela Swing Breast pump – Knowing what I know now, I will take this to the hospital with me when I’m giving birth to our next cub. When your milk comes in, your breasts will be extremely engorged, lumpy and painful. I found from the advice of my amazing Mama friends, a hot shower with a boobie massage and a good pump relieved this completely. Plus in those first weeks your breasts are learning how much your child is going to need so often your child won’t be able to empty your breasts, in which case the pump is amazing to finish the job. Why Medela? The Medela Swing Breast Pump is an electric breast pump that is designed to mimic a baby’s actual nursing. Phase 1, the stimulation phase, is a rapid pumping rhythm to get your milk flowing. Phase 2, the expression phase, is a slower pumping rhythm for gentle and efficient expression – Information courtesy of http://www.ohbaby.co.nz. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. – Medela swing pump
- Netflix – You’re going to spend so much time in those early weeks constantly feeding, so you might as well invest in something that will help you maintain some sanity and prevent boredom! Besides, it’s a lot easier than trying to master using your cellphone whilst breastfeeding!
- Muslin wraps – I didn’t think that I would use them all that much when I was pregnant, I was so wrong! They are awesome to take with you when you’re on the go as a spare blanket, a changing mat, burp cloths, breastfeeding cover and the list goes on! – Wraps
- Mum 2 Mum Dream Swaddle – An awesome product that prevents our cub from startling himself but also keeps him nice and wrapped up and is SO MUCH EASIER to use than a wrap when you have a wriggly child. I’m confident that this product has helped our cub’s nights sleeps go from 2 hours to 4 -5 hours. It’s also much more affordable than a lot of sleep bags on the market. – Mum 2 Mum Dream Swaddle
- Bonds wondersuits – These are well designed and thought out onesies! They have a two way zip which means you don’t have to deal with a million buttons to change your cubs nappy, but they are exceptionally soft and warm! Awesome for nightwear or the colder months, plus they come in awesome patterns and colours Bonds Wondersuits
- Snack food – You won’t have much time to cook, so grab and eat food is essential. I always have nuts, popcorn, brown rice crackers, carrots and celery with hummus, muesli with yogurt, heaps of fresh fruit and homemade frozen meals on the go! You won’t regret being overly prepared with food! And don’t beat yourself up for eating a lot of takeaways, sometimes you just can’t be bothered organizing food, and that’s absolutely fine!
- A wheeled trolley changing station – This has been an awesome investment! We currently live in a two story flat and the thought of having to constantly go up and down the stairs to fetch clothes, nappies and various other items from our cubs nursery seems like a waste of time. Specially when you have a screaming wee cub, not fun. It’s just plain convenient.
- A comfortable chair – You’re going to be feeding through the night A LOT and will find yourself falling asleep constantly in those early weeks. I personally found breastfeeding in bed after a week was giving me a bad back so I had to change to a seated position which I found much more comfortable. I highly recommend a comfortable chair for your cubs nursery!
- Portable nappy wallet
– This has been an awesome product! When you’re on the go and need to change that poopy nappy (which you absolutely will, trust me). These are perfect and super convenient! They have a slot for nappies, wipes and nappy bags. You can buy all different shapes, sizes, patterns and they just fit in your handbag!
- doTERRA Essential Oils – Remember, mama is also important, so don’t forget to look after yourself as well. Having a little routine every day just to keep your sanity is absolutely fine and you deserve it! My routine is at night, once our cub is down I have a hot shower, get into bed and apply organic coconut oil with doTERRA lavender to my stretch marks , then I rub my doTERRA lavender, marjoram and cedarwood into my hands and inhale to release all the tension that was in my day! You can use essential oils to help with your beautiful cub as well! Such as lavender—One of the many benefits of Lavender is its calming properties. When you have a very unsettled baby it works wonders! Lavender oil has been used for centuries to soothe skin, ease feelings of tension, and promote a relaxing atmosphere. Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and mist cot sheets to promote feelings of restful sleep. You might also try diluting a drop of Lavender with coconut oil for a soothing baby bedtime massage! My favourite is a couple of drops in our cubs bath. Worth every cent! – doTERRA. (Click join and save).
Those are my most favoured products! I hope it helps you gorgeous Mama’s and Mama’s to be!
All the love and support,
The Three Bears NZ.