Its daunting when the day finally comes! You have the all clear to go home with your beautiful little bundle! Your new life begins!
You are still healing yourself, whether it’s from vaginal birth, surgery or from the various other procedures.. You have had 2 hours sleep in 48 hours and are slightly delusional. You may be extremely volatile in your emotions and you aren’t quite sure the next tantrum or bout of tears will show up and you aren’t confident breastfeeding, (or know if that’s the path you’re even going to go down yet). You and your other half have never been so scared in your life, but you have both never been so elated.
There is so much you aren’t told about having a newborn! Like my amazing midwife says, “they don’t come with a manual!”. If only they did! Some days they cry all day. You’ve fed them, cleaned them, changed them, cuddled them and still, to no avail, you sit in defeat in an almost ‘meditative’ state that occurs before you scream into the closest cushion like object.
Sometimes newborns are mysterious and hard to figure out. It just takes time! Before you know if you will understand every sound he or she makes! Almost anyway!
What I have learned up until now is far from what I thought I would of by now! Here’s a few things I can offer you:
- They are able to communicate their needs to a degree. Hungry? There’s a cry for that. Pooping? There’s a cry for that. Hot? Cold? There’s a … you get the point.
- You CAN take them out into the wide world pretty quickly! As long as you are ready! If you are anything like me, you get cabin fever pretty quickly and need to get out of the house regularly.
- Be prepared for judgement and opinions ALL OF THE TIME. God forbid your child makes so much as a small whimper in front of the old woman walking past! Just remember, you know best! This is your child after all and people can talk until they are blue in the face! You take what you you find useful, and, well.. Fuck the rest!
- The second the nappy is off, they shit, or urinate, ALL OVER YOU. If you are like me, and have a boy then you know just how far there peep can go!
- They fart like adults! (I wish I knew that because the first time Torben let one rip I was definitely startled).
- I can’t stress this one enough.. DON’T EXPECT ROUTINE STRAIGHT AWAY! They are so little and it takes them a while to get used to this world outside of your uterus! And don’t beat yourself up! All you can really do is give them what they need, when they need it.
The list could go on forever! Newborns are gorgeous little beings that require a lot of our time and energy, but don’t panic! You got this Mama! Just remember, you are all the Mama your baby needs and you aren’t alone! Don’t be afraid to reach out to people if you have to! You matter just as much as your child!
There are so many things I am constantly learning everyday, and as tired as we can be sometimes, I wouldn’t have it any other way!
All the love and support,
The Three Bears NZ